[Amps] Re: Amps Digest, Vol 26, Issue 6

John Farber kg6i at direcway.com
Thu Feb 3 14:24:09 EST 2005

> At 11:09 AM 2/3/2005 -0500, dan r goddard wrote:
>>What's the big difference for a person looking to buy an amp?
>>
>>The Ten Tec Titan 111 is priced about $3600.
>>
>>The HF 2500 Commander is priced about $3100
>>
>>The QRO HF 2500DX is priced about $3600
>>
>>Is there that much difference in these Amps that one should be chosen
>>over another. All put out about the same power with low drive.
>>
>>One could get an Ameritron amp that would do the same for $1000 dollars
>>less.  Is there more quality control in one of these amps over another?
>>
>>One get's confused in trying to choose what amp to buy.  What say some of
>>you Old Timers?

I'm only a Medium-timer (56) but...    .
I went through about the same thought exercise some 6 years ago. I've built
a couple HF amps, bought some HB models and modified them and bought other
HB models and used them as-is, and of course, operated many different
commercial units. I checked out QST for amp reviews and related articles. I
found some amps (QRO, Ameritron) had arcing problems reported. I found some
seemed to have a very mixed frequency of repair history (TenTec). One brand
had QSK problems that were never fixed despite having the unit returned to
the manufacturer for repair (Command). I thought some amps were overkill,
and overpriced for what I needed (Alpha 87A, Acom auto-tune versions). In
the end I bought an Alpha 99 about 5 years ago when Alpha announced they
were about to raise the price form $2795 to a hundred or more bux more. I
see the latest price is like $4150 for an Alpha 99! I have been very happy
with my 99. I would say to get an amp with a good reputation and even more
important, one with extensive protection measures-trips for excess SWR, grid
current, arcing, etc. Or build your own-there are certainly many good
designs out there, and do make use of the amps reflector for advise
before/during your amp project construction phases.
73, John