[Amps] Amplifier$ [TSPA]

John T. M. Lyles jtml at lanl.gov
Thu Feb 3 18:37:59 EST 2005

I was reading the postings about $3600 for an amplifier, and i
thought of the same thing, what about the venerable SB220s of which
there are many many specimens out there, some of which could use a
little TLC and elbow grease and maybe a few mods to bring them up to
current design standards? I think i invested about $200 for mine 10
years ago, and put another $50 in parts and some weekends of labor
in, and it stands up against units costing 10X what i paid. OK so it
might be a dB less on the S meter at the far end than an 8877 or
4CX1600.

On a similar note, i picked up a fairly nice specimen of a DX100
(1957 classic Heapkit AM rig, 160-10, VFO'd) last weekend for
nothing, and after some cleaning and recapping. I love this hobby
sometimes.

73
John
K5PRO