Fwd: [Amps] Why price difference

R.Measures r at somis.org
Fri Feb 4 04:06:49 EST 2005

From: R. Measures <r at somis.org>
Date: February 4, 2005 1:04:46 AM PST
To: k2xx at swva.net
Subject: Re: [Amps] Why price difference

On Feb 3, 2005, at 6:50 PM, Joe Giacobello wrote:

> OK, Rick.  I can't argue with that, but it does seem to make a
> difference in the pileups at times...I guess.

Many years ago, an old timer (W6SDM) told me that to make a noticable
difference on HF SSB, it took +10db.  A SB-220 puts out about 1.5db
more on the SSB tap than on the CW tap.  So far, during normal QSB
condx on 40m daytime, I have never found anyone who could tell the
difference between the two taps on the Rx end.  This was why I decided
that to have a leg up on 40m combat-zone jammers who were running 10db
amplifiers, I needed to build a 20db tetrode-with-handles amplifier.
http://www.somis.org/Building_ugly_amplifiers.html