[Amps] Why price difference/TCO

Bill Turner dezrat1242 at ispwest.com
Fri Feb 4 11:30:19 EST 2005

On Thu, 03 Feb 2005 13:28:26 -0500, bob finger wrote:

>But a pair of 3cx800a7's should last well over 20 years in ham service
>if not overdriven or overheated......so tube choice based on $$ alone
>may not be wise.

I purchased a dual 3CX800A7 amplifier from a ham who shall remain
nameless and I found it had been shamelessly abused to the point where
the plastic chimneys had melted and fused to the tubes.  In spite of
that, after cleanup, the original tubes are still in it and still
functioning at full output five years later.  Eimac has a winner in
that one.

--
Bill, W6WRT