[Amps] 10 DB increase

GGLL nagato at arnet.com.ar
Sat Feb 5 09:29:55 EST 2005

	Ken, IMHO it's non linear (a simpler, bad design) or unadjusted metering
system. In older receivers with S-meters calibrated in microvolts, a 10 dB
power increase reflects as a 20 Db input change.
	Concerning S-meter systems, the best I have seen were mainly Kenwood's with
needle instruments (TS 430, 440) and  a few Icoms (three adjustment pots!, and
you see the result). In those Kenwoods, during the adjustment process you also
tweak for "mis-alignment" one of the IF-unit's tuned can. I guess this way
they achieve the accurate readings.
	I also believe that what's in the "middle" of both antennas should affect
equally both signal power levels, don't they? (a linear propagation media).
	But as said in another e-mail in the case of fast changing condx, several
tests should average readings.

Best regards
Guillermo - LU8EYW.