[Amps] 10 DB increase

David Kirkby david.kirkby at onetel.net
Sat Feb 5 13:41:18 EST 2005

R.Measures wrote:

> After George Grammar left QST,things changed and the advertisers
> became more important than QST subscribers.  When an advertised in
> QST,  manufactured, "3kW" tuner caught fire at 900W in the ARRL Lab,
> it was not reported in QST.  When the ARRL Lab technician noted that a
> 3cx1200A7 amplifier made by the same manufacturer exhibited signs of
> parasitic arcing during testing in the Lab, the problem was not
> reported in the QST Product Review.

That reminds me of Personal Computer World (and computer magazines) in
the UK.

About a year ago they were telling us an Apple was the first 64-bit
desktop computer. Yet a Sun Ultra 1 (about 50 pounds on eBay now) is
64-bit and was around the best part of a decade ago. It is very much a
desktop (smaller than the Apple). I wrote to the letters page of PCW and
told them that, but it never got printed. (BTW, I think IBM had a 64-bit
desktop before Sun, but Apple were way behind).

Now the magazines are full of telling us we need 64-bit computers. The
fact well over 99% of peopole don't utilise the full capabilities of
32-bit machines seems not to be reported - for the same reasons as your
3CX1200A7  blowing up.

Then personal computer world run a 5 or so page article telling us one
of the main advantages of these 64-bit computers was that they could do
the floating point calculations much faster. The fact all Intel CPUs do
it in 80-bits, and have done for perhaps two decades, seems to have
escaped the idiot who wrote this article, telling us why we should all
be buying 64-bit computers.

A combination of total idiots writing articles, and a strong advertising
bias, makes me very weary of much I read in magazines.

My immediate boss at work (a very respectable scientist and a Fellow of
the Royal Society) used to do some testing for HiFi magazines, but gave
that up when it lost scientific merrit.

So I doubt your ATU and linear amps are isolated cases.

--
Dr. David Kirkby,
G8WRB

Please check out http://www.g8wrb.org/