[Amps] 10dB and propagation

k7fm k7fm at teleport.com
Sun Feb 6 10:05:30 EST 2005

I used to wonder how come I could use a tri-band beam, advertised at 8 db
gain, and an amplifier advertised at 1500 watts and yet be 15 db down from
other local stations who were using 3 element mono-banders.  Since the power
limit is 1500 watts, they would naturally have been running the same power
as me.

This non-linear ionospheric amplification must therefore have been the
explanation.  I had been puzzled for years.  They obviously lived in such a
duct, while I did not.

Colin  K7FM

---