[Amps] Two quick loading questions

Gary Schafer garyschafer at comcast.net
Wed Feb 9 17:14:40 EST 2005

Always dip the plate last.

2- Depends on why you are reducing drive. If doing so to operate cw at
lower power then do a complete retune with that amount of drive. Tune
for maximum output as usual and dip the plate last again. Then do not
increase the drive.

Otherwise once the amp is tuned don't touch any tuning on it. It will
tune different with lower drive and will not handle higher drive power
if you tune it up at low drive. It will flat top and splatter if you
increase the drive from where you tuned it at.

If tuned up at full power, then reduce drive the efficiency of the amp
drops as you reduce drive. This is normal. That's how they work.

In the case of operating cw at lower drive levels by retuning you
maximize efficiency at the lower power level. You could operate ssb at
that level too but if the drive inadvertently goes too high then you are
in trouble.
For ssb operation it is best to keep it tuned with maximum drive.
Reducing drive level to cut the power a little is ok. It won't be
running at maximum efficiency but it will not have a chance of
splattering either.

73
Gary  K4FMX