[Amps] Output Filter PCB Available for Solid State Amp

Dr. William J. Schmidt, II bill at wjschmidt.com
Sun Feb 13 21:44:28 EST 2005

A couple of comments on your filtering approach:

1.  There are better filter designs today than those published in Helge's
paper (which he admits in his papers).  I agree the Rockwell Collins HF-80
series amps are extremely advanced from filter design technology.  I use
them myself... You should look into their design.

2.  I never did see a specification/ scope document on the design of the
amp.... rather a website narrative on some things it should do or some
designs it should or should not emulate, or technology that can be bought
that can be cobbled into your design.  I suggest you put together a good
solid specification document with input from the AMPS group. Then I suspect
you will get more design help than you can stand.

3.  I suggest you incorporate the RF T/R switching and the line section
sensing unit for FWR/REF power into the filter board.  Otherwise you will be
building yet another board for that purpose later.

4. Breadboard your designs before you order PCBs.  It won't take more than a
few  afternoons to do.  I don't order boards that aren't final production
and neither should you.

5.  The SGC-500 power cube incorporates some very simple yet effective
control circuitry.  You will glean a ton of ideas from their schematic.  I
can send it in PDF format if you don't have it.

This is a worthy project and I'd rather not see it fail....

Sincerely,

Dr. William J. Schmidt, II  K9HZ
Trustee of the North American QRO - Central Division Club - K9ZC

Email: bill at wjschmidt.com
WebPage: www.wjschmidt.com

"If computers get too powerful, we can organize them into a committee; that
will do them in."  -- Bradley's Bromide