[Amps] Eimac 3500Z Vs. RFParts or Taylor Tubes

R.Measures r at somis.org
Mon Feb 14 10:52:48 EST 2005

From: R. Measures <r at somis.org>
Date: February 14, 2005 7:49:59 AM PST
To: "Javier" <yv5mbx at arrl.net>
Subject: Re: [Amps] Eimac 3500Z Vs. RFParts or Taylor Tubes

On Feb 14, 2005, at 7:14 AM, Javier wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am curious abt the high street prices of Eimac 3500Z tubes against
> Chineese Version.

Eimac glass tubes are no longer made, so the price is higher.  Late
production Eimac tubes that were made in Salt Lake City commonly had
weak anode-cooler welds that broke and allowed the cooler to short
against the grounded- grid.  Earlier Eimac tubes that were made in San
Bruno did not have this problem.

> Is my understanding that chineese tubes get not as hot as Eimac and
> provide abt 100 watts of extra power. If I am correct is the price
> difference based upon tube´s longvity?

Chinese 3-500Zs are very similar to Eimac 3-500Zs in regards to bias
requirement and Mu, except that the metal anode Chinese version had
better welds. //   note -- graphite-anode 3-500Zs do not have this
problem.
cheers, Javier