[Amps] Degreasing Ceramic

Tomm Aldridge KD7QAE at ARRL.NET
Mon Feb 14 22:49:03 EST 2005

Trichlor (short for trichloroethylene) is also nasty s*it.  It was used
wholesale as a parts degreaser by the military and industry and then
banned sometime in the 70's as a general use solvent.  I had a menial
job as an undergrad somewhere in NM that included hand degreasing of
parts in the stuff which resulted in liver damage after only 1 semester
at the job (probably 3 or 4 1 hr immersions up to my elbows) where the
stuff was used.  The effects were not discovered for 5 years at which
time I failed the hepatitus screen for teh Red Cross blood donations
program.  Point being that this class of solvent is not worth messing with.

Perc was used at Sprague Electric to degrease lead frames and some
ferrites prior to potting and coating.  We had a vapor tank like Hal
described but our outcomes included a dead employee.  She bent over the
tank to retreve a missing part and knocked the lid support off.  When
noticed a 1/2 hr later, it was far too late.  Again, nothing to mess
around with!

I stick with ionic cleaners and DI rinces now.

Tomm, KD7QAE