[Amps] Modulation Transformer(s)

k7fm k7fm at teleport.com
Sat Feb 19 20:25:50 EST 2005

First, this is an amplifier question - even though the amplifier part in
question is from a class c amplifier rather than a linear amplifier.

One of these days I plan on building a 500 to 600 watt plate modulated rig.
I have all the parts except the modulation transformer.  Finding a 300 watt
transformer normally involves the expenditure of about $150 or more.  I am
considering another option - that of using 2 modulation transformers from an
ART-13 in parallel.

The normal arrangement in an ART-13 is P-P 811 tubes modulating an 813.
What I would propose is P-P/parallel 811 tubes modulating push-pull 813s.  I
realize that there may be no real advantage to running the 813s in
push-pull, but I have the parts and it sounds cooler (only for one band, so
bandswitching is not an issue).

I already have the ART-13 transformers.  They are beauties.  The additional
advantage of the ART-13 transformers is that there is an extra winding,
which would be used for feedback to the earlier stages to reduce distortion.

I have hunted numerous books and never found it discussed.  Anyone done it
before.  Any concerns?  Are resistors needed to match loads?

73,  Colin  K7FM

---