[Amps] Modulation Transformer(s)

k7fm k7fm at teleport.com
Sun Feb 20 08:59:16 EST 2005

Rich said:

"Low-level modulated, linear-amplified AM has noticeably less IMD products
than plate modulated AM.  Fuel injection is noticeably better than
carburetion.  Mo' older is not always mo' betta."

I am not going to disagree with you, Rich.  I have a couple of Central
Electronic 100V transmitters that put out beautiful am and I do use the
linear amp with them.

But, there are beautiful sirens that are calling and asking me to build a
plate modulated rig, with lots of meters, windows for the glowing plates, a
slight kerchunk from the relay when I switch the transmitter on and the
wonderfully giant split capacitor with neutralizing capacitors built in and
plug in coil bar.  Maybe it is the same reason my experimental aircraft has
an old carburetor
sitting on it rather than fuel injection.  Maybe it is because with fuel
injection I have one less thing in the air that can kill me (carb icing) and
I become an almost unnecessary part of the process.  Maybe that is why I fly
with a compass and map rather than an autopilot.

So, if I design the plate modulated system right, with the proper feedback
(determined by my distortion measuring equipment), I can have a system that
sounds as good as a digital rice box.  And I will finally be able to use my
home built copy of the old Collins 310B-3 on my desk as a driver for the
plate modulated finals and can get on the air ans tell everyone I am using a
rig I built myself.

But, then again, I could use a rice box that I buy at a store for $10,000
and still have all the old crap sitting on the shelf waiting for me to die
and be thrown away.

Colin  K7FM

---