[Amps] Fwd: Pi-L In-circuit Adjustment Question

R.Measures r at somis.org
Mon Feb 21 05:46:21 EST 2005

On Feb 20, 2005, at 6:35 PM, TexasRF at aol.com wrote:

> Hi Rich, no, I said "C1 resonates the network" but no matter, we both
> know what the intent was.

No capacitor in a L-network or a Pi-network (double L-network)
resonates the network.
> While driving up to my eme operating QTH this morning I was thinking
> about the subject and came to an interesting conclusion: there is no
> practical way to couple a grid dip meter into network to look for a
> dip while the amplifier is running key down to produce the needed
> impedance represented by the plate load impedance calculation. The rf
> signal present will QRM the heck out of the dip meter!

QRM the dip meter or toast it?
> Then the thought; removing the rf enclosure lid to make the
> measurement makes the LÊandÊ the C change. The only way to get an
> accurate measurement is to build a remotely operated dip meter into
> the circuit. This seems like a lot of bother knowing that QRM will
> negate the reading anyway.

There won't be any reading after the meter is toast.
> Therefore, I must conclude that your statement about a Pi network not
> being resonant just might beÊtrue as it can't be disproved.

An L-network transforms E and I by operating near resonance.  The
greater the Z-transformation, the closer it operates to resonance, the
greater the circulating I in the inductor, the greater the E across the
capacitor., and the greater the operating Q.  However, an L-network is
never operated dead-on resonance because there would be ° E and ° I.
> There is a lot more to be said about this subject as it seems to come
> up from time to time. I can't tell if you are really serious about
> this "non resonant network" or just pulling our chain about it.

  On AMPS, those who joke about AC circuit analysis are destined to
become one.
> I would appreciate knowing the answer to this before spending a lot of
> time building up the remotely tuned dip meter or thinking too much
> about it.
> By the way, I had a grammar slip in an earlier e-mail calling a point
> "mute" really meaning "moot". I know you saw that and thank you for
> graciously not pointing it out!

In this neighborhood, grammar is not as important as circuit analysis
and physics of electricity.