[Amps] Wanted, dual GS35b HF amps actual results

TexasRF@aol.com TexasRF at aol.com
Mon Feb 21 17:02:12 EST 2005

Tomm, there might be interest in this subject by others so I will send to
the list also.Your Rp numbers look fine to me. I haven't studied the GS35
closely but the data I have seen impliess a gain of about 13 dB. This would
suggest that 100w drive would produce about 2000w output. You may well need more
drive to exploit the potential of a pair of tubes. As with other triodes
commonly used, the higher the plate voltage, the higher the gain.

One of your options for high power to low power switching is to use the
higher plate voltage for high power operation setting the Rp as needed for that
and then switch to the lower voltage for low power operation. If you reduce the
 drive power, the plate current can be lowered to the needed value to fit the
Rp  set for high power. If the plate voltage is dropped to 70% and plate
current is  also dropped  to 70% the resulting Rp is unchanged. In this case,
output  power will be about half of the high power setting.

This is by no means a new idea as many old amplifiers had a 1000w and 2000w
pep switch that worked in this manner. In fact, that may well be the reason
your  PWD transformer has the voltages you mentioned.

Sounds like you have a good handle on all this. Have fun with it all!

73/k5gw

In a message dated 2/21/2005 2:59:59 P.M. Central Standard Time,