[Amps] Data on Eimac Y-799 or Y-808

Steve Thompson g8gsq at ic24.net
Tue Feb 22 05:59:25 EST 2005

On Tuesday 22 February 2005 01:59, David Kirkby wrote:
> I know I have asked this before (over 4 years ago), but does anyone have
> any data on either of the above tubes? They are conduction cooled
> tetrodes, similar(ish) to the 4CX250B. I have several, and have the BeO
> link, and a huge heatsink (weighs around 10kg or 22lbs.)
>
> I've tried Eimac, but they can't supply a data sheet, saying it was a
> copy of a tube made in the UK. Someone told me they were used by the
> Civil Aviation Authority, but its so long ago I had the
> conversation/mail with him, I can't recall much about it.
>
> I'm hoping someone has a data sheet, or at least some typical operating
> conditions.
Courtesy of Chris, G3VEH (ex Pye Telecomms):

The original unit was the T55AM, Ground to Air, transmitter which used the
CCS1 + beryllium block to conduct the heat to the heat sink on the front
panel.  Damned good TX in its day!  Usually set to run 80watts RF out if I
recall correctly.  Can't be certain but seem to remember that the modulator
bottles were KT66's or the like.

I think that will be 80W carrier, so probably 200-250W pep given the
conservative mod depths they used to run.

From the ones I messed with a few years ago, I think the unmodulated ht was in
the regions of 8-900V.

Steve