[Amps] [AMPS] Re: FL-2100B Failure

John Lawson jpl15 at panix.com
Tue Feb 22 14:10:07 EST 2005

On Tue, 22 Feb 2005 knormoyle at comcast.net wrote:

> Thanks everyone for the responses!
>
> There are a couple votes on residual magnetism on the relay, so
> I'm definitely going to check that out. The lead reversing is
> a neat trick Will check the armature spring again also. I played with it

   Another thing to check is that there is not some gummy gunk on the pole
face, which gets sticky when warmed as the relay is energized for long
periods - then, quits sticking as it cools - just in time for you to try
and troubleshoot it... ;}

   I have also had good luck demagging relay armatures by attaching a
variac, dialed to the 'correct' coil voltage, then turning the variac down
to zero in a smooth manner in a few seconds.... the gradually diminsishing
alternating field will leave the core and pole pretty well gauss-free.
Just be careful to limit the initial voltage to the rating of the coil,
and don't leave the AC on a DC coil for very long, or it'll get Cranky on
ya.

Cheers

John  KB6SCO