[Amps] Shipping Damage

Gary Smith wa6fgi at sbcglobal.net
Thu Feb 24 14:43:21 EST 2005

  ----- Original Message -----
  From: W0UN -- John Brosnahan
  To: Amps at contesting.com
  Sent: Thursday, February 24, 2005 11:03 AM
  Subject: Re: [Amps] Shipping Damage

  "I don't know how the USPS handles things now, but in those "old days"
  I would never ship Parcel Post unless the item was indestructible.
  I think it is better now, in large part caused by competition from
  UPS."

  I recall many years ago I shipped a Measurements, Inc FM signal generator to the factory for alignment via parcel post.
   When it arrived via back parcel post, the package and the instrument (fully insured, whew!!) looked like it had been pierced by a .50 cal bullet.
  Needless to say, the sig gen was destroyed, I was of the opinion at the time it was going to take an act of congress to get USPS to correct (and regret) their handling error. They finally (two months later) did.  Funny how episodes such as this stick in a person's mind.

  But as of late USPS priority mail  service is on par of what UPS was when they came into their fame in the mid-late sixties.  And it seems that now FedEx is on the ball for the occasional shipper of heavy precious electronic parts and such.
  73,
  Gary... wa6fgi