[Amps] TL-922 Help

Robert F.(Bob) Jones rfjones at ris.net
Thu Feb 24 14:54:29 EST 2005

Hi gary,

Actually I am now running the amp with HV on new tubes but no drive.I plan on doing this for 24 hours.The previous tubes were cooked in also and lasted 3 years under severs usage (many contests,etc).The previous  tubes never came up to full power during the 3 years where the previous Eimac tubes had no problem.I have heard the ZG tubes require more drive than the Eimacs but my 850 is good for 80 watts only and I don't want to push it any harder.I am hoping I can recover full power by tuning the input,getting the ig up or changing the bias,if needed for the ZG's.I don't want to try any of this without some expert advice,hi.

Interestingly since I posted this request I found the Kenwood benchmarks for ig,lp and power out in the Kenwood service Manual.
At 80 watts in and 1KW out,the plate current should be 600ma,the grid current should be 190ma and I have never seen this with the ZG's.My max ig is 100-125ma and plate current is 400-450ma based on band of operation.This is with no ALC control connected.

I'm betting that if I can get the ig up to 190-200ma this will fix my problem.My question is how to do this with 80 watts in.

It's a real leaning experience for me and this group has been a big help.Thanks for your comments.