[Amps] [BULK] - Re: Any comments on the Ameritron solid state amp?

Steve Katz stevek at jmr.com
Thu Feb 24 18:48:16 EST 2005

I was at Ameritron in Starkville,MS about a month ago for service on my
AL-80B. I live about an hour drive from there. I was shown around the plant
and handled many of the units. As I sat with the tech doing my amp there was

an ALS-600 there for production testing with the cover(s) removed. I checked

it over closely and as a former electronics technician I was pleased to see
the level of workmanship that was evident.  I considered this same amp
before I eventually bought the 80-B. While it is a "no tune" amp it is not a

"hands free" as manual band switching is needed. I was informed that
Ameritron is working on a "hands free" auto-tuning solid state amp and it
will be a 1KW model.  I was told this would be in retail within a couple
years.

::Good point, and good info, Charlie!  The SGC Power Cube is 500W output and
autoswitching (automatic bandswitching, hands off for that part) but still
won't tolerate much mismatch so will need an outboard tuner in many
applications.  If Ameritron does come out with a 1kW auto-tuning amp, it
should give Icom and Yaesu a run for their money.  I hear a lot of Quadra
amps on the air, so even at ~$4K it's evidently quite popular -- but it does
cover six meters in addition to HF, and that's part of the draw for that
product.  -WB2WIK/6