[Amps] TS-850 Output

Joe Subich, K4IK k4ik at subich.com
Fri Feb 25 13:32:12 EST 2005

Rich writes:

> On Feb 24, 2005, at 12:14 PM, Dennis Sokol wrote:
>
> > Gary,
> >
> > I have a TS850 and get 120 watts out. You can adjust the power out
> > with a simple tweak of a variable resistor. Don't know exactly which
> > one but Burghardt set mine up that way originally and I get it on
> > all bands.
>
> For turning up the power level on an 850 - or most other solid-state
> radios, it is best to turn up the DC PS to the rated max of
> 16 volts,.
> (the transistors are rated at 18v)  I have been running my 850 at 16v
> for over a year and so far, so good.

Before turning up the output power on ANY solid state radio, please
look up the manufacturer's specs for the PA device.  For example,
there are those who recommend running the FT-1000 Field at 150 Watts.
However, the Field uses a pair of 2SC2879.  The manufacturer's data
shows a significant increase in IMD at output power > 80 watts per
transistor (before LPF losses) ... the "sweet spot" (lowest) IMD is
60 watts per device which correlates very closely with 100 watts
out of the radio.  Even at rated output the Field is only good for
about -35 dB IMD that drops to less than -30 dB when the Field is
pushed to 150 Watts.

73,

   ... Joe, K4IK