[Amps] close to off topic - how to read antenna R + jX ??

David Kirkby david.kirkby at onetel.net
Sun Feb 27 13:01:54 EST 2005

David C. Hallam wrote:

>You can also use a Boonton Model 250A RX meter or one of the later models of
>the 250A made by HP after they took over Boonton.  They appear on eBay
>fairly regularly and seem to sell for prices in the $50 to $100 range.  They
>are not exactly a portable piece of equipment though as they definitely fall
>in the boat anchor class of test equipment.
>
>David C. Hallam
>KC2JD

I've not used the Boonton 250A, and would suggest anyone looking at
buying any of these professional instruments did a bit of research
first. Perhaps buy a manual before the kit - you can always sell the
manual if you find the kit it not suitable.

You really need to be *serious* about wanting the decent impedance
(R+jX) measurements, and able to do the maths, but if you are, then I
personally think some money spent on old used professional test
equipment might be better value than spending the same money on brand
new glossy kit from the likes of MJF. I've not used any of their antenna
analsers, but having seen some of their kit, I'm not too impressed.

Others might disagree of course.  Is there anyone using such
professional kit for ham radio use on here, who might like to comment?

My BSc project report would be useful here, but it was written using the
old word processor 'runoff' on a VAX running VMS. I don't have the
runoff file, which is a shame, as I'm sure converting a runoff file to
pdf would not be too hard. I can't be bothered to scan it.

Dr. David Kirkby, G8WRB.