[Amps] Is ALC necessary

Bert balmemo at sympatico.ca
Sun Feb 27 21:09:20 EST 2005

Hi Dan,

The basic purpose for ALC, Automatic Level Control, is to make sure you
don't overdrive the amp. The expert on the reflector can probably give you
some more insight. There is a great article on Eham.net
http://www.eham.net/articles/10183

I have never used ALC driving my SB-220 with an IC-765. The 2 x 3-500Z need
about 140 watts for full output power. The 765 can only generate about 100
watts so I'm very safe. If you have an amp that needs less drive, I suggest
you adjust the output from the TRX if that's possible. Good luck!

73 Bert, VE3OBU