[Amps] Fingerprints on 3Z500 tubes

Harold B. Mandel ka1xo at juno.com
Mon Feb 28 18:33:01 EST 2005

> Should I worry about not getting fingerprints on the glass of
> glass-enclosure
> tubes like the 3Z500?

Dear Jan,

Wash your hands very well and rinse them with vodka
rubbing alcohol to get rid of oils.

Then spray the tubes with an ammonia-based window
cleaner like Windex(tm) and follow up with alcohol.

I know broadcast engineer types who let their 4-1000A's
and similar glass tubes virtually rot with fingerprints, especially
fingerprints after they've been into the No-Ox or Moly grease
and they don't care. "The day ain't long enough to wipe tubes!"

Personally, I like glass tubes and glass chimneys that are pristine,
and know that halogen bulbs suffer from hot spots where finger grease
accumulates, but where vacuum tubes are concerned it might all
be aesthetic.

Hal Mandel
W4HBM