[Amps] Elmer me on high power solid state amplifier design?

doc kd4e at verizon.net
Mon Jan 3 10:52:55 EST 2005

Dan Levin wrote:
> I have (once again) become enamored with the idea of designing (and building, I hope) a solid state amplifier for 160 - 10 meter use.
>
> Ideally, this amplifier would deliver 1500 watts output in contest use with 100 watts or less drive, produce output that is as spectrally clean as a tube amp, and cost less than an auto-tune tube amp by quite a bit.
>
> Unfortunately, I know next to nothing about solid state design :-)
>
> I've read a few of the Motorola app notes written by Helge Granberg, and looked at a few designs that use MRF-150's and SC2879's on various web sites.  I am aware of the issues of output harmonic filtering, lightening protection, SWR protection, etc. – none of that has discouraged me yet ☺
>
> I have a bunch of (what I am sure are) fairly simple (and likely, in some cases, fairly dumb) questions - but no one to ask them of.
>
> If you would be willing to chat with me a bit (by email) on this subject, please let me know.  I would appreciate it very much.
>
> Thanks, and best Happy New Year to all,
>
>                                     ***dan, K6IF

I tried that a couple of years ago and ended up swapping
the components away -- just too much time and talent
involved for me!

I am now modifying a pair of used made-for-cd amplifiers
with 1-30MHz toroids, adding a splitter combiner, and
adding a switched CWAZ filter.  Later I need to do some
work on the bias circuits and swr protection.

This is a project I think I can handle and learn from.
It also gets me 1500W PEP output from a 12v amp at a
price I can afford.

--
Thanks! & 73, doc kd4e
A blessed and joy-filled New Year to all!

West Central Florida  100% Linux.  Suse 9.2
Hallicrafters, Heathkit, Homebrew, TenTec, Yaesu
Radio Life: http://www.gospelcom.net/twr/
Linux-Incompatible hardware is defective!