[Amps] High Voltage RF Transistors and Power Supply's

Dan Levin djl at andlev.com
Wed Jan 5 16:03:37 EST 2005

As I mentioned in an earlier posting, I've been thinking
about a 1500 watt HF solid state linear.  It turns out
that I am not alone - several fellow travellers are
further down the road than I.

While most folks seem to be using 50 volt MRF-150 type
parts, I've run into two companies that are building
higher voltage, plastic packaged, RF amps.  IxysRF
makes 150 volt parts, and Advanced Power Technology
makes 125 volt parts.  They are interesting for a
variety of reasons, but one is that they are much
cheaper than MRF-150 type parts :-)

Two questions:

1) Does anyone have experience or opinions about these higher
voltage parts, e.g. the APT ARF463A/B?

2) Can anyone point me to info on building a 125 volt or
150 volt DC high current power supply?  It seems in theory
that it should be possible to build such a beast without
a transformer, which might be a major savings in size,
weight and money.

Thanks!

                    ***dan, K6IF