[Amps] High Voltage RF Transistors and Power Supply's

Winfried Kriegl dk9ip at gmx.de
Thu Jan 6 06:40:43 EST 2005

These APT Mosfets are good for high power amps but not for linear operation.
The only linear amp design with APT mosfets I know of so far is a 6m 300W
amplifier. See application note APT9802 (
http://www.eetkorea.com/ARTICLES/2001APR/2001APR20_AMD_RFD_AN6.PDF ). I have
a collection of other related articles and data sheets at
http://dk9ip.ba-karlsruhe.de/pdf/mosfetpa

So far I have no experience with this type of amplifier. Any hints
concerning a kW broadband linear amp using HV Mosfets are appreciated.

I have build a 100V power supply using 4 Lambda PH300F280 24V/300W DC-DC
converters in series with 300V input (no transformer). These DC-DC
converters can sometimes be found on flee markets. Another manufacturer is
Astec. See  http://dk9ip.ba-karlsruhe.de/pdf/dcdc  for data sheets and
applications.

73 de Win DK9IP/KH7CD

> As I mentioned in an earlier posting, I've been thinking
> about a 1500 watt HF solid state linear.  It turns out
> that I am not alone - several fellow travellers are
> further down the road than I.
>
> While most folks seem to be using 50 volt MRF-150 type
> parts, I've run into two companies that are building
> higher voltage, plastic packaged, RF amps.  IxysRF
> makes 150 volt parts, and Advanced Power Technology
> makes 125 volt parts.  They are interesting for a
> variety of reasons, but one is that they are much
> cheaper than MRF-150 type parts :-)
>
> Two questions:
>
> 1) Does anyone have experience or opinions about these higher
> voltage parts, e.g. the APT ARF463A/B?
>
> 2) Can anyone point me to info on building a 125 volt or
> 150 volt DC high current power supply?  It seems in theory
> that it should be possible to build such a beast without
> a transformer, which might be a major savings in size,
> weight and money.
>
> Thanks!
>
>                     ***dan, K6IF

+++ Sparen Sie mit GMX DSL +++ http://www.gmx.net/de/go/dsl
AKTION für Wechsler: DSL-Tarife ab 3,99 EUR/Monat + Startguthaben