[Amps] Solid state amps

Steve Thompson g8gsq at ic24.net
Sat Jan 8 03:17:44 EST 2005

Will Matney wrote:
> Steve,
>
> Motorola did publish one which was high power in the Motorola RF
> device handbook. The thing had several push-pull modules made around a
> rectangular looking heatsink with these modules mounted around the
> sides tied together with splitters and combiners. Did this one your
> mentioning look like this beast I'm mentioning? If so, I'll get the
> handbook out and see if I can get everyone the app number for it, and
> or what book version it's in.
I remember one like that which used bipolars. The MOSFET article I have
describes a complete amp built into a rack mounting case. I did some
searching and I think it might have come out as Motorola app. note AR580,
but I can't locate a copy of that on line.

Other useful design ideas for combiner/filter/protection circuits can
probably be found in Icom IC-4KL and Yaesu Quadra service manuals.

Steve