[Amps] Q meter [TSPA]

G3rzp at aol.com G3rzp at aol.com
Sat Jan 8 04:11:19 EST 2005

In a message dated 07/01/2005 22:49:40 GMT Standard Time, craxd1 at ezwv.com
writes:

In my  opinion, I dont think any instrument can measure the true unloaded
Q  exactly due to too many factors or variables such as stray capacitance
and  inductance.

Even when measuring the components on their own, the Q meter measures the
apparent Q. Q is a variable, depending how close you are to the self resonant
frequency of a coil, the self capacity of a coil, and the method of measurement
 that the Q meter uses.

For a very good treatise on this, see M.G.Scroggie, Second Thoughts on  Radio
Theory, Iliffe, London, 1956 pp125 et seq. There's a lot of other good  stuff
in this book, too.  Sadly, I don't see a copy available on  Abebooks.com, but
a library can maybe help.

73

Peter G3RZP