[Amps] Heathkits on 50 Hz.?

Will Matney craxd1 at ezwv.com
Mon Jan 10 15:36:06 EST 2005

Al,

Without looking at the Heath manuals on these, I'm not sure what
frequency they were made to run at (50, 60, or both). Although Heath had
two different types of equipment if I recall, some manufactured in
Europe. I don't know if these amps were manufactured in both places or
not. However, Heath did export to Europe and all over really where there
is odd line voltages (Japan) and different frequencies. They could have
taken this into consideration on the transformer design, or just used a
different transformer for 50 Hz operation. The reason the US amps dont
use one for both 50 and 60 Hz is the cost as a 50 Hz costs more plus
weighs more. The manufacturers here only supply 60 Hz unless it's an
export model. The amp should have something on the back where the power
cord is at saying something like 120-240 VAC at 50-60 Hz if it will run
this way. It should also be in the manual that came with it. If your
looking to buy one, ask the seller what the line frequencies are.
Explain that it should be stated on the back of the amp around the power
cord.

Will

I guess I should have asked before.  We were looking at the Heathkit
SB-200 or the SB-220 for use on 240 vac and 50 Hz., any problems with
these?  If so can you recomend a good amp that does not cost a fortune
used that would work on 240 vac and 50 Hz.

                               Thanks, Al, N7IOH