[Amps] cw bias

bob finger finger at goeaston.net
Tue Jan 11 14:11:45 EST 2005

Vic:  1970's and 1980's HF amp designs published by ARRL often included
switched zener bias for class ab and c.  What was described by W2RU I
suspect is an adaptation of these designs.  I have used the same 27 volt
zener with pairs of 3-500;s operating on cw.  Keeps the tubes cut off
nicely.  One of course must not forget to switch it back for ssb, which
I assume is why it has never been implemented commercially.  A look at
the amp designs on arrl's web site will provide much food for thought.
73 bob de w9ge