[Amps] For any technicians

Will Matney craxd1 at ezwv.com
Wed Jan 12 16:18:10 EST 2005

I received an original copy of a manual for a Conar model 282 RF signal
generator with some other test equipment I bought. I had to tell this
even though it doesn't concern amps in particular. The manual included
two engineering change notices in it. Now if any has serviced test
equipment like me, you'll know that for most old equipment there's no
manulas for, and you replace what's bad by the part number or codes.
First off, the generator in mention was a cross between two. It stated
as follows;

"Your model 282 signal generator incorporates design changes that
improve its serviceability and make it easier to adjust. The manual
reflects these changes and is marked model 282; however, the front panel
is labeled model 281. This is correct because no external changes have
been made. If you have any questions or need technical assistance,
please let us know that you have the model 282".

Now to me, this sounds like they were getting rid of any left over
cabinets before a model change. If a serviceman didn't know this, he
would be asking for parts and service on a 281! Next, there was a paper
called "special instructions" which stated;

"Crystal CR30 Marking; You may find that crystal CR30 is marked
incorrectly as 6.5546 MHz. The manufacturer made this error during the
marking process. The actual value of the crystal is 6.5536 MHz and can
be used in this instrument".

Now what if someone replced the crystal with the marked value and never
could get the rf output correct? I would think any manufacturer would
have made the crystal supplier re-do the whole lot! The reason I'm
mentioning this is I wonder just how many other manufacturers have been
guilty of this? Has anyone heard of anyone else doing the same on kits
or manufactured equipment?

Will