[Amps] Chinese tube production

Martin Sole msole at loxinfo.co.th
Sun Jan 16 23:06:17 EST 2005

I just returned from a visit to China. One of the guys I got talking to at
the place of work is a keen tube Hi-Fi guy. From what he was showing me on
some Chinese web pages they do a lot of home construction. We talked a bit
about RF power tubes as well and though it is not really his thing he is
quite knowledgable about them in general terms. Discussing tubes like 811A,
572B and 3-500Z to name a few he told me that though they are still making
them in China production will end in October of this year or next year.
Couldn't quite work out which year he meant but the October bit seemed most
clear. I'm not sure how much truth there is to this, it's obviously just
hearsay at the moment but I guess there will come a time when they decide to
stop production. I was shown all sorts of ex-military radio gear, very nice
construction, mostly 50's and 60's design but built right up until the late
1980's that is now hitting the Chinese surplus market. All tube gear is
headed to the surplus market or has gone already. Without the tube equipment
in service I guess the need for new RF power tubes at this level will also
disappear. The audio tubes look set to remain as there is considered
sufficient global demand.

Just some info I thought I'd share.

73
Martin - HS0ZED