[Amps] Want to build first amp

Tomm Aldridge KD7QAE at ARRL.NET
Wed Jan 19 22:58:09 EST 2005

Learned listmates,

I want to embark on building my first HF tube amplifier.  I would like
to know what to start with, GG triode or Grid Driven Tetrode.  I am
looking for legal limit plus and will provide 230V for operation.  GS35b
tubes have caught my eye as have GU84b units but I am open to
suggestions.  Oh, and this will be a deskside unit with a 19" rack as
its basis and it will be expected to provide service from 160m to 6m.
Lots of great material out there on both flavors.  I am looking for
reliable operation, ruggedness (tolerance of my errors), 50 to 100W
drive from my Kenwood to full output, simplicity and cost effectiveness.

I am an experienced EE with PSU and systems experience but have not ever
tackled a tube amp below 10GHz (grin).

Waiting for all teh great guidance.

KD7QAE