[Amps] Russian GI-7B(T)

Dennis Berry dennisberry at worldnet.att.net
Fri Jan 21 15:07:02 EST 2005

There have been some great comments recently on tubes and IMD curves.  I am just getting into looking seriously at amps, and I am trying to absorb as much as I can from a lot of brighter people than myself in this reflector.

The Russian GI-7B tube looks like it would be an interesting tube as a replacement for the 811 class of tube.  What I don't know is since it is a 'microwave' tube, would it work well in HF and SSB?  I 'assumed' the gain would increase at lower frequencies, and therefore be a good candidate?  The typical data sheet for a GI-7B does not show any IMD curves as was discussed recently with the Eimac tubes.  I know there are tube conversion articles out there using this tube, but from a 'quality of signal' for lack of a better term, do some of you more learned guys know if these tubes are really applicable and produce a good clean signal for HF CW and SSB work?

Thanks in advance for any responses received.

    Dennis, NU8S