[Amps] Re: hi C out

zl1aih at ihug.co.nz zl1aih at ihug.co.nz
Sat Jan 22 02:53:50 EST 2005

Hi Mike,
Yes, I still have the HR with W4MB's article and your memory is
correct.   It's a 'must read' for newbie amp home-brewers with
limited budgets.   However, it should be read in conjunction with
Rich Measures' info concerning parasitics, especially when you
are using a bread-slicer for C1 in a Pi or Pi-L tank circuit - I had
some problems with a pair of 4-400s in GG until taming the
parasitics with Rich's measures (no pun, I assure you) - until I
lengthened the anode leads to C1, I couldn't get resonance on 10
metres.    Afterwards, the amp was unstable until I installed the
nichrome supressors - totally stable from 80 to 10.
73, Ken ZL1AIH

I seem to remember an article in Ham Radio from the 80's regarding an amp.
using three 813s built by Bob, W4MB, where he did the calculation for the
inductance that went from the plates to the blocking capacitor.  He was
interested in reducing the affect of the plate capacitance so he could
tune 10 meters.  As best I remember he was converting the parallel
capacitance to an equivalent series capacitance and then inserting an
equal inductive reactance at 30 MHz to compensate for the series
capacitance.

Anybody remember the article?