[Amps] What is it called?

David Kirkby david.kirkby at onetel.net
Sun Jan 23 04:07:11 EST 2005

Steve Thompson wrote:

>>Tufnol (or similar spelling) is one possibility. You can get it from
>>RS components in the UK, althouhg they have a international presence.
>>It is a very good insulator, but not exactly inexpensive if I recall
>>correctly.
>>

>There are many different flavours of Tufnol with different fillers and
>reinforcing. At least some of them (if not all) are hygroscopic, so beware.
>
>Steve

I just checked the RS web site

http://rswww.com/

and found 'Tufnol^® (Kite Brand) Plastic Stock' where it states: (I've
not quoted the lot as that would be pointless

"Kite is the most widely used of all TUFNOL grades where ever a first
class quality electrical insulation material is required for low, medium
or high voltages. It has good dielectric strength and high insulation
resistance with low moisture absorption and good mechanical strength."

Then for '(Carp and Whale Brand) Plastic Stock' it states:

'A laminate plastic based on a fine weave high quality fabric. It
combines excellent mechanicals strength and low water absorption with
high electrical properties.'

I've not gone over it with a fine tooth comb (as we say in England), but
the grades of Tufnol sold there would seem to be suitable.

I won't post a link to the exact page, as it seems to have a session ID,
which will change for another person. But go to:

Mechanical -> Engineering Materials -> Phenolic fabric
All 4 grades of tufnol (Carp, Whale, Kite and Swan) would seem to be
suitable to me.