[Amps] What is it called?

David Kirkby david.kirkby at onetel.net
Sun Jan 23 04:55:50 EST 2005

Ian White, G3SEK wrote:

> Tufnol is a machinable grade of plain old-fashioned phenolic (Brit:
> paxolin).
>
> The big UK electronics distributors like RS Components and Farnell are
> incredibly expensive for engineering materials - you should see what
> they charge for that extra "i" in aluminium.

RS is not cheap. You do pay for their excellent service, which is useful
professionally, but not necessarily for amateur use. They have data
sheets for most products (including these Tufnols) online, although you
have to register to get data sheets. If they don't have the data
on-line, they FAX it to you. If there is a problem, they sort it out
quickly on the phone. I've never had a problem that is not resolved the
same day. Yet I have used them for nearly 20 years professionally.

I find I can place an order with RS up to about 4pm and without paying
for any extra delivery and can be 99% sure their first class post will
get it to me the next day. In London at least, their delivery is very fast.

Farnell do a *guaranteed* next day delivery for zero cost, with no
minimum order. I doubt they would do the same for a one-off amateur
purchase on a credit card, but professionally I find both RS and Farnell
good, and use them a lot.

Recently some storage draws were delivered to work and the courier hit
them hard on the floor, bending the sides. I phoned up RS and within two
hours there was another one delivered. RS's prices must reflect this.

I've looked at the prices of some hard disks in RS and laugh at them.
They are totally OTT, but then when I had a  SCSI CD-writer fail that I
personally purchased from 'Dabs' it took me weeks to get a returns
number. Dabs is cheap, but their service ****.

What price/service you can tolerate professionally is usually very
different from what you can tolerate for hobbies, but I would agree with
Ian that they might not have been the best source for these materials.
It is just one source I know.

PS, for amateur us, Maxim
http://www.maxim-ic.com/
have a very good policy on samples for ICs - shame they don't do
engineering materials.  You can get several of any of their ICs sent as
samples by courier for zero cost.

PPS
I know a colleague, who lists on his web site a hobby of 'Finding things
for free'

http://www.medphys.ucl.ac.uk/~mefry/

wanted Texas Instruments DSP chips. He used to buy DSP evaluation kits,
remove the DSPs, then throw the rest of the board in the bin. This was
cheaper than to buy the DSP chips at commerical prices. This was many
years ago, but shows with a bit of ingenuity you can save money. Texas
Instruments sell the DSP evaluation kits at a loss I am sure. For any
academics, you probably know TI will give them away if you ask nicely.

I use an expensive data acquisition board professionally with an ADC
that samples at 200MS/s. Guess what DSP it uses - TI of course. Texas
Instruments might make a loss on the evaluation boards, but they reap
the benefits when people use these things professionally.