[Amps] AL-811: Tuning, Setting ALC, Operating

Martin J. Morgenbesser w7mjm at arrl.net
Sun Jan 30 21:29:22 EST 2005

Dear Charlie and all others who have responded,

Thank you for your answers, comments and suggestions. You guys are great.

Regarding the question of whether to use a keying interface between my
IC-718 and AL-811, the general consensus is that the IC-718 should have no
trouble keying the AL-811 without any interface. This view is consistent
with the manufacturers' specifications for the IC-718 and AL-811.

I do read posts on this list and elsewhere saying that one should use an
interface anyway, "just to be sure," but the 718's internal keying relay is
rated for 16 DC volts at 2 amps, which should give a significant margin of
safety to handle the 12 DC volts at 100 ma present on the AL-811 keying
line. So I guess I'm good to go.

Thanks again, everyone.

73,
Martin