[Amps] alpha 78

Mike Schatzberg cherokeehillfarm at earthlink.net
Sat Jul 2 12:15:36 EDT 2005

Hello Amp Fans:

I agree, I would bring the amp up slowly, watching the rise in high voltage,
that it is increasing proportionately with increasing line voltage.

Keep you eyes and nose close to the amp, looking for any tell tale signs of
component failure.

But, I would disconnect the anode clips before doing that.  First check the
amp's power supply, which is your main concern with the aging, beyond the
triode condition.

After everything looks good with the high voltage supply at full voltage,
allow the filaments on the triodes to operate for a few hours, before
applying high voltage to the plates following reattaching the anode clips.

The filaments may re-getter the tubes in a few hours at full line voltage.
If you do not have a variac to bring up the voltage for the power supply
check, at least disconnect the anodes and give the tubes some time at full
filament voltage before reconnecting the anode clips.

Regards,

Mike Schatzberg
WB2AJI