[Amps] sb220 zener diode problems

R@contesting.com R at contesting.com
Fri Jul 8 17:50:22 EDT 2005

On Jul 8, 2005, at 1:55 PM, almacottage wrote:

> [...]
> old eimacs coming loose and causing intermittent filament operation in
> one tube .
>
> all was ok and amp ran fine for the whole week, mostly in standby mode
> without any rf drive into it and a couple of short periods of transmit
> ..
>
> today i had the sb220 switched on and had just tested it in transmit
> mode and gone back to standby mode when i heard pulse type arcing
> noise coming from amp .
>
> there is no high voltage showing on the meter in standby mode but it
> came up when the PTT was engaged .
>
> firstly i looked inside the amp and noted arcing from the zener diode
> from its body to  its mounting position in the shield of the rf deck ,
> the insulating washers werent that  insulating  by looks of it ..
>
> subsequently i found a previous installation for the zener diode
> consisting of 2 roughly cut  square pieces of  very thin mica film and
> an almost worn out  insulating bush on the  fixing stud of diode , i
> made 2 new ptfe insulating washers and a new bush .
>
> after fitting these there is no contact to ground from the zener diode
> as i believe the zener is to be insulated completely  from chassis .
>
> after refitting of newly bushed zener the amp still continues to arc
> if in the 2.9kv setting .
>
> grid metering is reading negative whilst amp is on but not in transmit
> .
>
> i noticed that when the arcing is occurring it is doing so across the
> ptt relay contacts , but obviously part of the circuit including
> zener diode is linked to the  ptt relay and carries a wire connection
> to the ptt relay back to the zener connection on metering/rectifier
> board .
>

> i can switch amp on in the lower or higher voltage setting and the
> filaments are lit but there is no high voltage on the anodes as would
> normally be and it will arc if i switch up to 2.9kv .
>

> probing around the rectifier/metering board i am seeing high voltage
> on various components and the plate voltage meter will rise whilst my
> probe is resting on some of the resistors on the board although i have
> not had the time to check all this out yet up against the circuit
> diagram .
>
> on the zener diode itself i am reading 2kv  on both ends and of course
> this then follows down a wire terminated at the ptt relay , ie where i
> am seeing the arcing ..
>
> do you think my zener diode has failed or would it possibly something
> else to look into .
>
> the diode is a 1N3996A   5.1V  10WATT
>

> there seems to be voltage present from the transformer , 990v AC
> before  entering rectifier and i am reading voltages on most of the
> diodes but need closer inspection to all of them yet ..
>
> i have no high voltage out of the rectifier/metering board  to the
> anodes at present .
>
> i am unsure if the zener diode is good or bad and how ive lost anode

Bad zeners typically measure under 0.1-ohms in both directions.

> hopefully its just a case of replacing the zener diode but id like to
> know what measurements i should be seeing from the zener in normal
> operation .

My guess is that the arcing in the SB-220 is being caused by an
intermittent parasite at c. 110MHz.  Reducing the Q of the VHF
suppressors may help decrease the VHF gain enough to stop the arcing,
If you would like to try a parasitic suppressor retrofit kit, send me
your address and we will send one.  If it does not stop the arcing, you
owe us nothing - nada - zip.  If it works, the total price is $15.50.
This malady is covered in an article about the 220 on my Website.

> the trouble occurred whilst in standby mode and not when inh transmit
> , amp was just sat with HT on and filaments running and then all of a
> sudden the high voltage went and the arcing started, to which i
> switched the mains supply off instantly .

A familiar story, Ian.