[Amps] Tetrodes

R@contesting.com R at contesting.com
Sat Jul 9 17:09:06 EDT 2005

On Jul 9, 2005, at 1:41 PM, earl baillley wrote:

> Hi planning to swap triodes in my old 374a  with Russian bottles of
> near
> equal dissapation. I couldn't in good concscience pay more than 100
> bux for
> a bottle out of a VOA monster. Govt subsidized KW SS blocks havn't
> shown up
> yet.
>
> What is the best way to supply and attach the screen volts that
> tetrodes live by

For small tetrodes, the safest way to power the screen is through a
high-ohm power resistor connected to the anode supply, feeding a shunt
V regulator connected in parallel with the screen.  This configuration
limits screen-I to a safe value during an unloaded condition, it
protects the screen from loss of anode supply V, it absorbs potentially
fatal reverse-screen-I, and it protects the amplifier from persons who
are not familiar with tetrode tuneup.