[Amps] Alpha 86 PIN Diode Fuse

SamuelR717@aol.com SamuelR717 at aol.com
Thu Jul 14 12:04:37 EDT 2005

In a message dated 7/14/2005 2:13:52 A.M. Eastern Standard Time,
ke6cvh at yahoo.com writes:

I blew  the PIN diode fuse.  I called Ameritron and they told me something
that  was kind of amazing.  The guy told me to take a spare light bulb for an
indoor chrismas tree light cord.  I installed the fuse (and red christmas  tree
light bulb) and crossed my fingers.  As the SWR climbed while  observing the
PIN diode board I watched and sure enough I could see it start  to glow red
just like he said.  It worked like a  champ.

If the net function of the bulb was to dissipate some of the current and so
protect the fuse, I WOULD NOT try this on an Alpha 86.

Glen at Alpha tech support specifically warned me about not using a higher
current fuse.  Apparently, if the current is hi enuff to blow the fuse, and  it
doesn't blow and cut the current off, MAJOR component damage will  occur.

73

Sam
AA3VD