[Amps] HP5328A Counter

David Kirkby david.kirkby at onetel.net
Sun Jul 17 05:55:21 EDT 2005

Will Matney wrote:
> All,
>
> I received the HP 5328A counter today with the 1.3 GHz option and voltmeter option. The pics didn't do it justice as it looks almost new except for the stain on top left by glue from a tag or label. It included a shielded BNC adapter for the voltmeter terminals and a Tektronix P6028 1X probe which I did need for my scope. Really, I was looking for just another bench counter so the DVM is a plus. I just tried it out on all modes and it worked like it should. I ended up with $49 in it not counting shipping which was $17 if I remember. I've seen just the scope probe bring $25 to $30 on ebay. Plus hardly ever does the 1.3 GHz option ever show up, mostly up to 550 MHz. A clean one of these with no DVM has been bringing about $30 on ebay. The DVM adds about $10 I've noticed. I wonder if the price was right or too high? The reason being, if I ever wanted to re-sale it, what would be a fair price?
>
> Best,
>
> Will

Will,
What you got does not seem bad for the money.

If I were you though, I'd try to find another with the GPIB option, then
remove the GPIB option and fit it in yours. Then sell the other counter
without the GPIB. I suspect that option is easily removed - check the
manual.

As for what it is worth if you wanted to sell it, I'd say it is worth
what someone is willing to pay for it.

I suspect the GPIB option would add more to its value than it would cost
you to fit it. There are lots of those counters around with GPIB, but
not the other options for $20 or less. So if you buy one cheap (it does
not matter how tatty it is, or what options it has other than the 011
GPIB), you are not going to loose a lot on it. But you will gain a very
valuable facility to yours I think.

This one on eBay failed to attract any bids on eBay at $24.95, yet has GPIB
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=7529496241

This one sold for $11.95
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=7527097755
and again has GPIB.

If you add an ISA GPIB card to an old PC, you could easily measure
frequency drift vs power supply voltage in a bit of equipment. Rectify
the mains, smooth it a bit, and you can measure frequency drift vs mains
voltage. Use a thermistor and you can measure frequency drift vs
temperature.

To me at least, the combination of being able to measure voltage,
frequency to 1.3GHz and log these continuously would be quite nice, but
you need the GPIB option to do that.

PS, I don't know if you are aware of this application note, but it might
be worth looking at.

http://www.home.agilent.com/cgi-bin/pub/agilent/reuse/cp_ReferenceRedirector.jsp?CONTENT_NAME=AGILENT_EDITORIAL&CONTENT_KEY=1000000354%3Aepsg%3Aapn&STRNID=03&LANGUAGE_CODE=eng&COUNTRY_CODE=US

--
David Kirkby,