[Amps] 4CX250 bases (David Kirkby)

kenw2dtc kenw2dtc at comcast.net
Fri Jul 22 17:03:02 EDT 2005

WA4LAV asked:  "I have often wondered if strong RF fields ever mess up the
brushless motor's internal controllers?"

Yes they do.  I had a friend who ran a 4000 watt CB transmitter in his van.
(two 270 amp Leese Neville alternators with a variable field that would
allow the voltage to hit around 21 volts).
When he keyed the mike, the six cooling fans would vary, some at half speed,
some slower, some completely stopped.  He never figured out if the RF was
radiated from antenna to the fans or if there was RF on the common DC feed.
(There was virtually no voltage drop because of the huge welding cable size
feeds).

The first time he visited my house, he got into everything, all audio
equipment, telephones and TV sets.  With the power mike turned all the way
up and the non-linear amp, he was basically an RF SQUARE WAVE on wheels.  I
always thanked him for not being on the amateur radio bands.

73,
Ken W2DTC