[Amps] HP 3490A DMM

Will Matney craxd1 at verizon.net
Sat Jul 30 07:53:45 EDT 2005

David,

See below;

On 7/30/05 at 10:41 AM David Kirkby wrote:

>Will Matney wrote:
>> David,
>>
>> For one to be in as good of shape with 5-1/2 digits, I figured was a
>bargin for a bench meter.
>
>$9.99 is pretty cheap, although it is a big beast. Not quite sure I
>would want something that big.

It's not as big as it looks. It's about the same size of the HP counter I bought a week or so ago. It weighs about the same as a VCR. I thought the counter would be larger and heavier than it was. It, I was totally satisfied with. However, these are for bench use only, and not made to be used out on a job.

>> I know when you see them at Tucker, and Usedline.com, they run way more
>thant they
>>  do on eBay costwise.
>
>Tucker's site is good for information, but their prices are just silly -
>for hams anyway. But if you needed to do a job quickly, and needed
>several bits of kit, finding them all on eBay and taking a chance might
>not be so attractive.

Tucker, and several others are way too expensive and are really overpriced for what they have. However, I think some stuff on eBay if you catch it right is being sold too cheap. Condition has a lot to do with this though in used equipment.

>> That brings up a topic I was going to post later but might as well now.
>I'm thinking about getting into the calibration business for folks like us
>who don't have several hundred bucks to pay for calibration. I'm looking
>at buying some more calibration standards to calibrate DMM's, and
>frequency counters with. Before I do, I wonder if anyone one would use the
>service if the prices were reasonable where one could afford it? If not,
>I'll hold off on buying the equipment.
>
>The problem would be one of trusting your results. Would you pay to have
>all your kit regularly calibrated professionally?

If I were to do calibrations, I would have standards here that were NIST traceable. You can buy full blown DMM calibration rigs at a decent price anymore. However, they need a fresh cal themselves before work could start. The hardest thing to find at a decent price is a rubidium or other frequency standard. The other cal rigs aren't that bad.

>I have been looking for a bench DVM myself. I'm limited by weight more
>than anything else, as my room is upstairs, but I might move into the
>garage. But then it can get stolen. Catch 22.

It's according to what you want, something that can be held by hand, or something with major precision like a 5-1/2 to 6-1/2 DMM. Most handheld meters are either 3-1/2 or 4-1/2 digits. A lot of the smaller bench meters are only this too. I've seen several smaller Tektronix DMM bench meters for sale but the are mostly 3-1/2 digits like the CDM-250. HP has some mid sized meters with LCD displays. I prefer the old LED readout because I can see it better than a LCD unless it's backlit. A decent meter with a smaller size that I have is a Data Precision 3500 which is a 5-1/2 digit. They made a 3600 too, and is a good one. Both have LED displays and can be bought around $45-$50. The mid sized HP's generally run higher.