[Amps] Odd modifications in AL-80A

Bill Coleman aa4lr at arrl.net
Sun Jul 24 16:42:25 EDT 2005

I just bought an AL-80A amplifier from an estate. The amp appears to
be OK and working, but certainly in need of a little bit of TLC. I
found the cover on backwards and only eight of the thirteen screws in
place. You can be sure I'll fix that.

The odd bit was when I opened the case and looked to re-wire the
transformer for 240V operation. The transformer appeared to have a
number of primary windings that were not used. Further, the 12v
supply came not from the main transformer, but from a 117v
transformer mounted on the back wall of the amp.

It took some figuring to move the wires of the 12v transformer so
they were across one winding of the main transformer. That done, was
able to fire up the amp.

The multimeter shows a HV indication of just under 2700v in standby.
The manual says this should be 3100v. That doesn't seem quite right,
but the multimeter could be mis-adjusted.

One other thing about this AL-80A is that the multimeter switch has
six positions instead of the four labelled. It also sticks out of the
front panel about an inch and a quarter.

Does anyone know anything about these odd changes with the
transformer or the multimeter switch? Anyone have any suggestions on
refurbishing this amp? Things I should check for?

Thanks.

Bill Coleman, AA4LR, PP-ASEL        Mail: aa4lr at arrl.net
             -- Wilbur Wright, 1901