[Amps] filament with AC, no CT TSPA

John T. M. Lyles jtml at lanl.gov
Thu Jun 2 12:31:00 EDT 2005

I believe that your analysis is probably on target, Bill. Would there
be any cancellation of 60 Hz component of modulation *hum* in the
output if the tubes were wired so that the AC feeds the opposite side
of the filement in each? I wonder if you can cause such a
cancellation in a push pull amplifier if you try. Similar to
improvement in 2nd harmonic that you would get.

When i built a 100 kW push pull 2800 KHz amplifier here in 1998, at
first I ordered both filament transformers with no CT. Arrgggh!  I
considered using a tapped resistor across them, but having over 40
Amps of cathode current made this difficult. Before we finished
construction I got new transformers made, from a less expensive
source, American Magnetics out in Illinois. They had the CT on the
secondary so I didn't have to worry about hum. These were custom
460VAc input/15 VAC output transformers, rated about 4.5 kVA.
However, as you suggest, it wouldn't make it through the RF netorks
at 60 Hz, but could certainly show up as low level noise sidebands on
the carrier, depending on the tube design. Basically consider it as a
small ripple voltage on the Grid bias, where one end of the filament
is being modulated and the other held fixed. With 120 volts of
negative bias to get 40 amps of plate current, hum modulation would
be approx 10%.

Present project is a TH781 tetrode amplifier, 500 kW peak at 200 MHz.
I tested it last summer with AC filament and one side grounded, no
CT. The cavity has one conductor of the input circuit grounded, and
it is a cathode driven linear, grounded grid and screen (for RF
only). 60 Hz ripple can be seen when sweeping the amplifier with a
network analyzer (S21) under power. We are going to move to DC
filament now, as recommended by Thales for the tube. Using a AC/DC
switcher I think.

The biggest DC filament we use is 5 VDC at 6.8 kiloamps. Yes, thats
over 30 kW of filament heat. It is in the Burle/RCA 7835 triode,
which has 96 individual unit electron beam structures radially
arranged, each running about 70 Amps. We do not reverse the direction
of current for the life of the tubes, typically 25,000 hours.

73
John
K5PRO