[Amps] Arcos 2M Amp Built by W2GN

Jerry Muller k0tv at adelphia.net
Fri Jun 3 21:34:19 EDT 2005

I have two ARCOS amplifiers. A 432 amp that Fred built and a 2 meter amp
that I built from one of Fred's kits. Both of my amps use 8930s (a 350 watt
dissipation tetrode that is similar to a 4CX250). I converted the 432 model
from 4CX250 to the 8930. Both amplifiers work fine. I made EME contacts with
both amps when I used to have them on the air.

I second that Fred was a fine craftsman. He took no shortcuts and made
quality products. I did not know that he made a version using the 3CX800 but
I'm sure it's a fine product. The original design for the 432 amp was by
K2RIW and was published in QST some time in the middle of 1972 if memory
serves me correctly. The 432 version uses a half wave stripline and the 2
meter version uses a quarter wave stripline.

If Fred built it, the amp will be a cherry.

73 es gl with the amp, Jerry