[Amps] Alpha 86

Vic Rosenthal vic at rakefet.com
Mon Jun 6 18:33:02 EDT 2005

Dick Green WC1M wrote:
> FWIW, a member of our contest club had problems with massive IMD
> interference to other radios caused by bad PIN diodes in a used Alpha 86 he
> bought. Being a thrifty fellow, and not needing QSK for multi-multi
> contesting, he simply bypassed the PIN diodes with a standard relay-based
> T/R switching system (not even a vacuum relay.) Aside from the PIN diode
> problem, my understanding is that the RF portion of the amp is excellent and
> a real workhorse.

I had an 86 for several years (just sold it).  There was NEVER any
problem with the PIN diodes, no blown fuses, and I always operate QSK
CW.  Same for the guy that had it before me.  I understand that early
models had a problematic board that was later updated.  So later ones or
ones in which the board was replaced did not have this trouble.

Vic, K2VCO
Fresno, CA
http://www.qsl.net/k2vco